, pub-8423681730090065, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Valour and Courage: Contact At The Kinta Forest Reserve - Captain Mohana Chandran al Velayuthan (200402) SP, Ranger Bajau ak Ladi PGB & Cpl Osman PGB
Death or Glory
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Courageous
Who Have Looked At
Death In The Eye
Stories Of Valour
No Atheists
In A Foxhole
“When you're left wounded on

Afganistan's plains and

the women come out to cut up what remains,

Just roll to your rifle

and blow out your brains,

And go to your God like a soldier”

“We are not retreating. We are advancing in another direction.”

“It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.”

“Old soldiers never die; they just fade away.

“The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace,

for he must suffer and be the deepest wounds and scars of war.”

“May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't .”
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

“Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.

“Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man."
“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

The Soldier stood and faced God

Which must always come to pass

He hoped his shoes were shining

Just as bright as his brass

"Step forward you Soldier,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?"

"No, Lord, I guess I ain't

Because those of us who carry guns

Can't always be a saint."

I've had to work on Sundays

And at times my talk was tough,

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny

That wasn't mine to keep.

Though I worked a lot of overtime

When the bills got just too steep,

The Soldier squared his shoulders and said

And I never passed a cry for help

Though at times I shook with fear,

And sometimes, God forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around

Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here,

Lord, It needn't be so grand,

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was silence all around the throne

Where the saints had often trod

As the Soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you Soldier,

You've borne your burden well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

You've done your time in Hell."

& Infor
Malaysian Food
Other Stuff




Contact At The Kinta Forest Reserve - Captain Mohana Chandran al Velayuthan (200402) SP, Ranger Bajau ak Ladi PGB & Cpl Osman PGB
Saturday, August 28, 2021

Major Jayandran Koren extreme left, Thanaraj centre and Ray Chandran on the right. Late  Capt Chandran was killed at about 2.40pm on 13 June 1971 in contact with the Communist.

"Capt Ray Mohana Chandran was killed in action in June 1971. He was in 4th Rangers in Ipoh. I was then in 7th Rangers in Sg Petan, a 2nd Lt. Chandran clashed with a group (5th Assault Unit - AU) led by State Committee Member (SCM) Chong Kwai Hong. After the clash SCM Chong withdrew to South Thailand. We spent a lot of time trying to track him down but our efforts were futile.
In 1974, I was a Capt then, and was dealing in combat intelligence in 7th Rangers. While operating in Sg Siput area, about 10km from where Chandran clashed with SCM Chong in 1971, my boys (7th Rangers) came across some markings made of bamboo along a mountain ridge streching on the slopes of Gunong Korbu. These findings were on 20th April. I instructed my boys to lay an ambush along the ridge close to the bamboo markings.

On 22nd April at 10.55am, BANG - the ambush was sprung. Two terrorists were killed in the initial burst and during the follow up 30 mins later another 3. In this clash, 5 bodies were recovered, one was SCM Chong and another his wife. After this not much was heard of 5th AU. It was replaced by 6th AU. We recovered quite a bit of $$$ from this clash- obviously, he was their high ranking leader. What pleased me was, we avenged Chandran's misfortune. I have not shared this with anyone till now. Maybe because we were just too busy then to sit back and rejoice on the success.

Unlike now, on reading and listening to the script, I just realised what we had scored. Its 50 years ago!!!! May God bless Chandran's soul and let him know the score. I will raise this with the 4th Rangers guys so that some closing can be done at unit level."Leader 5th Assault Unit Chong Kwai Hong was killed by 7th Rangers on 21/22 Apr 1974 at 1155hrs in Pos Legab area during Gonzales 1. Five CTs were killed in that chance ambush. One escaped and was killed by 2nd Rangers, 2 or 3 days later
Chong Chor was captured by the Special Branch in Chow Kit area, circa 1987" - Lt Col Baldev Singh (Retired)

"When signs of enemy presence(Communist Terrorists) were discovered at the Korbu Forest Reserve, Sungei Siput and Tanah Hitam from the 8th May until 31st May 1971, a mixed Reconnaissance Group was formed. 

The intelligence received at that time, was that the enemy had just moved into the area. The enemy unit was commanded by DCM Chong Kwai Hong, the overall Commander being Chong Chor. What the intelligence failed to notice was that the enemy had moved into the area 2 months ago. The position the enemy was entrenched in was fortified with trenches. The enemy camp had even an underground kitchen.

So to destroy is enemy a sub - unit of the Unit Combat Intelligence Platoon (4th Rangers) , comprising of ten men led by Captain V.Mohan Chandran of the 4th Battalion Royal Rangers, Special Government Agents (Surrendered Enemy Personnel  from the 1st Emergency- SEP), Special Branch and members of the 3rd Reconnaissance Regiment. They were tasked to reconnoiter the movement of the enemy in the Ulu Kinta forest, Perak. This group was sent, as there were signs and information concerning the movement of the Communist Terrorists in the whole of that area. They were moving with impunity in that area, they dominated the ground there, it was time to show the Enemy that their days of terror were over.

This combined group was inserted into the operational area on the 3rd June 1971. This combined unit was commanded by Captain Mohana Chandran al Velayuthan (200402) and assisted by 2LT Donald Patrick John (2000913), both who, were from the 4th Rangers.

Left : Captain Mohana Chandran al Velayuthan (200402) Aged : 24 years old. A role model for Officers of the Ranger Corps.

They moved off from Camp Suvla Lines, located along Jalan Tambun in Ipoh with 2 X 3 ton trucks and a single Land Rover. They left the camp at 1100 hours heading towards Tanah Hitam, Chemor through Ulu Kinta. They debussed in a rubber plantation near the North Brigade Police Field Force Camp in Ulu Kinta. They moved for about a map square (1 km) to spend the night there.

They moved for about a week in the area looking for enemy traces guided by the SEPs', who were mostly Chinese. During one of their outings on their own, escorted by the Rangers, they came upon an "Orang Asli" (Original People of Malaysia) settlement. The SEP's were familiar with the settlement and knew the people from this settlement. The SEP's managed to get some information from the Orang Asli. The rest of the group was not far off. They came back and said this," Friends, If you all want to be safe, it's better not to go"("Kawan kalau mahu selamat lebih baik tidak usah pergi"). To which Rgr Abang Bolhi bin Abang Din replied, "How can we do that, it is up to our Officer?"(Mana boleh buat apa, itu terpulang kepada Pegawai saya").

One of the SEP's asked one of the Orang Asli to guide the Rangers to the the Enemy location believed to be at Sungei Kinding. On the route to that location they came across an Orang Asli and two Chinese men. They detained them for awhile, releasing them only after their Orang Asli guide clarified that these 3 men were familiar faces and that they were looking for tin ore. The Orang Asli guide was only willing to guide them until Sungei Kinding, he was not willing to go further as he had come across a group of the well armed and uniformed enemy who numbered around 30 men. The Orang Asli left them there and returned to his settlement. They rested for the night at Sungei Kinding The following morning several patrols were sent out by Captain Chandran in many directions to get the lay of the land and to look for the signs of the Enemy. Rgr Bolhi was in 2Lt Donald's group. On that day they came across a hut.

They checked out the area around and inside the hut. Rgr Abang Bolhi found a piece of paper, it was a receipt for the purchase of a chainsaw dated 24th March 1971. He handed over the receipt to 2Lt Donald. Rgr Bolhi then went down to the washing area near the hut, he found a green shirt which was hidden there. 2Lt Donald then, instructed Rgr Bolhi to move to Captain Chandran's location and hand over the shirt him and inform him of the finding. The following day they went out on a patrol which was the 12th of June 1971, with the intention of picking up traces of the Enemy's activities. After they came back from the patrol, Captain Chandran told them to cook, have their food and rest, as in the evening he wanted to discuss something with them.

After they had their lunch and had rested they gathered for a briefing and orders from Captain Chandran. After delivering his orders, his final words before they were dismissed was,"Clean your weapons well, for tomorrow we are going to do battle". Most of the Rangers felt uneasy and anxious with these final words from Captain Chandran. Even his tone of voice was different that day. The words, we are going to do battle tomorrow, kept on playing in Rgr Bolhi's mind over and over again, all along the return journey to 2Lt Donald's location. Those words kept on ringing throughout that evening. He occupied himself by sewing his pants which was torn. He started sewing, one by one all the needles he used broke until he was left with the largest needle, which too broke. He was left thinking of all these ominous signs that were gathering.

To keep his mind from further being troubled he went fishing to a nearby stream adjoining the base. He manged to catch some fish at dusk. He cooked them up to be eaten for the following day. The following day he forgot to take the cooked fish along with him on patrol. As planned on the 13th June 1971 a patrol of 15 men with two SEPs' went out on patrol. Which further broke up. Rgr Bolhi followed Captain Chandran's group, along with 601509 Cpl Rahman bin Jaafar, 929223 Rgr Bajau ak Ladi and 928939 Rgr Ali bin Jaafar. 2Lt Donald's group comprised of 203523 Cpl Osman bin Sharif (3rd Recce), Rgr Zainal, Rgr Norsin and 22594 Rgr Khasan bin Awang, the third group comprising of 5 men was commanded by Cpl Musa. Whilst on patrol 2Lt Donald asked for the M79 carried by Rgr Bolhi to be handed over to him. He told 2Lt Donald to ask Captain Chandran's permission. After receiving the instructions form Captain Chandran to hand over the M79, he was handed a sterling sub machine gun, like the rest in the group, with the exception of Rgr Ali who was carrying a Light Machine gun.

They left their jungle base at 0800 hours in the morning, led by 2Lt Donald's group. Cpl Musa's group was instructed to lay an ambush on the trail they took, after leaving them behind, Cpl Musa's group they came across an Orang Asli hunting with his blow pipe. The SEP approached the Orang Asli and spoke to him. After that they left the Orang Asli. Rgrl Bolhi was the leading recce (scout) for Captain Chandran's group. He was followed by two of the SEP's, then followed by Capt Chandran, Rgr Bajau, Cpl Rahman and Rgr Ali. They were separated from 2lt Donald's group by a mere 10 meters.

Relates Rgr Bolhi : " I was following the trail taken by 2Lt Donald's group, when I came across a trail cutting across, it looked suspiciously fresh. That trail was already crossed by 2Lt Donald's group who apparently did not notice it. I indicated that faint trail to the SEP's who were behind me. The SEPs' and I followed the trail which cut across the ridge. After following the trail for sometime, the SEP's confirmed that the trail was that of the Enemy. The SEP's were not sure whether it led into an Enemy stronghold or just a trail leading to the right of the ridge. We turned back to inform Captain Chandran of our findings. Captain Chandran ordered a halt, ordering me to move up and make contact with 2Lt Donald's group to return and marry up with his group for further discussions at the place where we halted. I ran towards the direction I last saw 2Lt Donald's group. At one point I nearly released a shot at a figure which suddenly emerged form the dense foliage, I later realised that it was Cpl Osman, the last man in 2Lt Donald's group.

I hand signalled to Cpl Osman that 2Lt Donald and his group had to turn around. I took them back to the Captain's location. During the briefing by Captain Chandran, he told us that the SEP's were reluctant to follow the trail to the Enemy Camp. They knew that if they met up with their old comrades, they would be despatched to the nether world without mercy. They were therefore very adamant that they would not want to get involved in a direct confrontation with their former friends. Therefore he ordered them to move back to their base camp at Sungei Kinding on their own, without escorts. They could not be used for any battle, being the ex-commies they were.

Captain Chandran radioed for reinforcements, instead he was instructed to make do with what he had. After lunch at around 1400 hours, 2Lt Donald moved off with his group to the right of the ridge, whereas our group (Captain's) moved to the left following the trail along the left of the ridge. As we moved along the trail, Captain Chandran reminded us about the river below the ridge, to be used as a guide back to Chemor, in the event, we needed to save ourselves. The river flowed towards Chemor.

On the descent from the ridge, I was leading, followed by Captain Chandran, Rgr Bajau, Cpl Abdul Rahman and Rgr Ali bringing up at the rear most. From the beginning of the descent, I stopped several times to take a leak (urinate). Captain Chandran who was wearing a greyish shirt looked troubled and was chain smoking, I saw that his lips had turned pale. I even asked him if anything was the matter. To which he replied, that there was nothing the matter with him. There was this weird feeling in my gut. I tried to push away this gloomy and negative thoughts playing in my mind. With this fleeting disturbing thoughts I raced downhill, I reached the bottom of the hill where I reached a waterpoint, complete with a bamboo acting as a conduit for the flow of water. I filled up my water bottel, not realising that it was an Enemy waterpoint. Captain Chandran followed me quickly without stopping, overtook me, crossing the stream and started ascending the hill rapidly in front of me, as though he had picked up the scent of the enemy.

After going up a few meters, I saw him signalling with his thumb pointed downwards with his left hand and followed by an indication of direction. That meant, enemy in front ! Without missing a heartbeat, I raced towards him to close up with him. As soon as I reached him, he told me to move forward and reconnoitre the enemy's position. Very slowly I moved forward to get close to the enemy's location. My distance to the enemy was 3 long strides away. I saw two of the enemy digging a fire trench whilst one other enemy who was in full uniform was acting as a lookout. The two enemy who were digging, were in white singlets and wearing grey colored pants. Suddenly 3 pairs of eyes locked onto me. They held my gaze for a fleeting moment before anyone reacted. Meanwhile Captain Chandran was taking cover behind a boulder to the right of me.

The rest of the men were still downhill, not aware of what was happening in front of them.Thoughts were racing through my mind whether to to fire first, worrying I would not be able to kill them all. The thoughts of 3 against 1 started racing. I decided to use the grenade 36, I reached for the grenade, then the thought what if the greande fails to explode. I put the grenade back all this happening in split seconds. I quickly made a final decision, I opened up with my sterling sub machine gun, I saw all three of them fall.

As I fired in the direction of the enemy, the enemy too, fired in my direction. I was hit in the left palm of my hand. The bullet penetrated my palm and came out. One more round went through the back of my right arm pit and came out through my right chest. The blood gushed out. I told myself, "God ! I am dead," thinking about death this time around. I fell and rolled downhill. As I rolled downhill I lost a magazine of rounds. In that instant Captain Chandran moved quickly to cover me, from being hit some more, by the direct enemy fire. He started firing on the enemy, from his cover to save me and keep the enemy's heads down. As soon as I had reached the bottom of the hill, I was being embraced by Rgr Bajau who was asking me, "What's happening Bolhi?" I was in a daze, I replied, that I was dying and that I was shot. Rgr Bajau ak Ladi on hearing this released me and immediately started firing uphill ".
Rgr Bajau, then charged uphill firing until he was quite near Captain Chandran. The Captain ordered Rgr Bajau to provide him with covering fire, so as to enable him to close up with the enemy, Rgr Bajau obliged by bringing withering fire to bear upon the entrenched enemy. By this time, Cpl Abdul Rahman had reached the location, he took up a position beside Rgr Bajau and concentrated his fire too on the enemy poistion. Meanwhile Rgr Ali with the LMG still had not crossed the stream at the foothill. Rgr Bajau seeing tha Rgr Ali had difficulty moving with the LMG, raced downhill to take the LMG.

Right : This is a Bren Gun, a LMG is a modified bren, the magazine in an LMG is straight unlike the bren which is curved. One can actually see the word Bren etched into the metal which is crossed out.

He swapped his sterling for Ali's LMG. He heard Captain Chandran yelling " Section 1 to the left. Section 2 to the right. Attack ! Attack ! Attack ! Giving his orders clearly and cooly.

During this exchange of weapons whilst Captain Chandran was assaulting the enemy, covered by Cpl Abdul Rahman, the enemy's rounds slammed into Captain Chandran. Rgr Bajau raced uphill with the LMG and set it up to provide covering fire for Captain Chandran. Without him (Capt Chandran) realising it, the enemy's bullets had hit him in the head. He continued firing by reflex action until he lay still, on the battle field that day in the forest of Ulu Kinta, Perak. Even though he had such a small group of men, his courage managed to confuse the enemy on the actual strength of the security forces. He knew he was outnumbered, after he had established contact with the enemy. It was too late to back off and wait for reinforcements, as it was late in the day.

What Captain Chandran did  not know was that the enemy who were lying in wait for him was only a third of the enemy and very well entrenched, the other two thirds were out on a patrol.

The enemy on top of the hill fought with great vigour bringing heavy and concentrated fire to bear upon Rgr Bajau and Cpl Abdul Rahman. Rgr Ali had by that time reached them, none of them could move due to the intense fire from the enemy. Cpl Abdul Rahman observed the situation for awhile and decided that maybe, maybe, Captain Chandran was killed as he was not moving and as his voice was no more heard, he was not sure of anything at that time.

Rgr Bajau continued advancing, firing fiercely with his LMG braving the enemy's bullets. As he advanced, trying to destroy the enemy who were uphill and dominating the ground, Rgr Bajau felt something collide with his left thigh. He saw blood flowing from the impact of the round and felt the warm wetness of the blood spreading on his trousers. He shouted out to Cpl Abdul Rahman, "Corporal I am hit in the leg ! " He took cover assisted by Cpl Abdul Rahman behind a boulder, which prevously was the location Captain Chandran. Which he had used as his own cover, before assaulting the enemy from that position.

With the enemys strength being very much larger and them dominating the ground , not much could be done by Cpl Abdul Rahman and Rgr Ali. After sometime they heard two explosions from an M79, probabaly from 2Lt Donald's group, which did not seem to have much of an effect on the enemy. The enemy continued raining bullets on them. After half an hour of intense firing by the enemy the firing gradually abated. Cpl Abdul Rahman's ears were ringing with the sounds of the battle. The line of sight was fading for him He looked in the direction where Captain Chandran lay, before losing sight of him.

Suddenly he saw a jungle hat hanging on the thorns of a rattan plant, swaying gently, being blown about by the wind. He recognised that as belonging to his Company Commander, Captain Chandran. He was still hoping in his heart that his Officer was still alive, hoping to see the jovial and familiar face, for at that moment, he felt so very alone and the responsibility of command weighed down on him so very heavily. He continued observing to see whether Captain Chandran would walk up to him. He crawled towards the direction where Captain Chandran lay, ordering Rgr Ali to lay down covering fire for him. He went close to Captain Chandran, he was lying in the prone position. He did not notice any wounds on Captain Chandran at first. He turned him over and found two holes in the left and right of his head and blood flowing out of them. There was no pulse. All his fears came true that day.

Cpl Abdul Rahman pulled and dragged his body into a depression in the ground not far from his previous position. He took Captain Chandran's pistol, sub machine gun, compass, map, watch and all the ammunition on him,. he covered the body with leaves from the "bertam" plant, found in the area. Before he withdrew from the position, he yelled out with all his might, "B Company covering fire, C Company assault !! This was a ruse, trying to deceive the enemy that two companys of troops were assaulting them. With that cry they continued firing uphill on the enemy. After sometime they heard the enemy gathering their belongings to retreat, shouting, "Chau, chau, chau "(let's go, let's go, let's go ). He informed Rgr Bajau and Rgr Ali that Captain Chandran was no more with them. Cpl Abdul Rahman ordered Rgr Bajau and Rgr Ali to stay at their posts until night fell. The intention was to withdraw from their location under the cover of darkness, to avoid being spotted by the enemy who might still be hanging around the top of the hill.

The rain started coming down in torrents, Cpl Rahman ordered Rgr Bajau who was wounded to observe uphill, Rgr Ali to observe the left while he himself observed the right of their location. Captain Chandran's body was not too far behind them. After sometime he ordered them to maintain their watch as he wanted to get the radio at the bottom of the hill. Even though the radio was faulty he managed to get his message to Platoon 1 of A Company which was in the vicinity. He was instructed to remain in his position be patient and that help was on the way. At around 1800 hours, Rgr Bajau started complaining that he could not stand the pain. Cpl Rahman put on fresh dressings on him and told him to be patient and that help was on the way. They were there and the time was now 2000 hours, help still had not arrived. Rgr Bajau continued bleeding profusely and was in great pain. There was alot of blood coming out of his thigh. Cpl Abdul Rahman started worrying, he repeatedly reassured and consoled Bajau, asking him to bear the pain.

He reassured Bajau again and again. He also told him that people who must die will die, but not Rgr Bajau. He asked Rgr Bajau if he was willing to walk at night to reach their base. To which Rgr Bajau agreed, at 2030 hours they started walking leaving the place of battle. They left the area with a heavy heart, knowing well that they were leaving the body of their commander and leader and Rgr Bolhi whose location they did not know. They walked all night until morning stopping to rest every now and then. That night as they were walking back to their base they saw alot of flares being fired, not knowing the reason for this. The flares guided them back to their base. As dawn broke he had sucessfully brought the two men to the bottom of the hill.

The sun arose and the day cleared, aiding visibility. They continued moving, after climbing a hill at around 0830 hours they ran into a group from B Company commanded by Captain Ariffin, who were actually racing towards them to provide support. They were given food and drinks by Captain Ariffin's group. Captain Ariffin organised a stretcher party to carry Rgr Bajau to a LP (landing point). This was to evacuate Rgr Bajau who was suffering from a severe loss of blood. A helicopter came in and evacuated Rgr Bajau. After which Cpl Abdul Rahman and Rgr Ali took Captain Ariffin's group to the place of battle.

On this journey they did not follow their initial route, They followed a different direction, in the event the enemy was still around to surprise them. They were hoping to destroy the enemy by surprising them instead. This too was to prevent them running into a well defended enemy location. Even as they tried avoiding running into the enemy, they made conatct with th enemy. They were fired upon by the enemy, there was an intense exchange of fire. The day was getting dark, therefore Captain Ariffin ordered all of them, to go into an all round defence position, as it would be too risky to conduct an assault in unfavourable light conditions. If at all they were to do battle, it would be the following day.

The Enemy had withdrawn, therefore, Captain Ariffin on the third day after the battle ordered them to look for the body of Captain Chandran and Rgr Abang Bolhi, whose location and his state was still vague. The Platoon was broken up into smaller units and sent in all directions to look for them. They repeatedly shouted the name of Abang Bolhi. At around 0900 hours in the morning they heard a very faint reply in the silence of the jungle, "I am here, I am here". He was found in a very weak state. There were maggots in his wounds. This was good news indeed for Cpl Abdul Rahman who felt very guilty and responsible for Rgr Abang Bolhi. He gave his praises to God for answering his prayers. Not long after that the body of Captain Chandran was discovered. Rgr Abang Bolhi and the body of the Captain were carried to a nearby hill, located not far from the enemy camp. Rgr Abang Bolhi and the body of Captain Chandran were winched out of the area after which they were flown to the Ipoh General Hospital.

After that, they conducted a search on the Enemy Camp. It was very well constructed, located on a strategic location, dominating all approaches to it. It was constructed on a small hill, on the slope of a ridge, not easily detected with a very narrow approach to it. It would have been very difficult to detect, as sometimes hunters and soldiers always used the easier route by following a ridge. To reach the Enemy camp one had to scale a very steep incline. It would have been very difficult to conduct an attack. It would have taken at least a Battalion to successfully conduct an assault. There were many tracks and trails out of the camp, left by the Enemy.

It was a large camp which could accomodate around 60 men. The camp had communication trenches to enable the Enemy to move around without being exposed to outsiders by sight or fire. The communication trenches were 3 feet wide and 4 feet deep, connecting their fighting trenches.The communication trenches were dug in the direction that would be the probable approach of an attacking force. Logs were used to reinforce the parapets of the fire trenches. The sleeping accomodation of the Enemy was dug into the ground. It was constructed to withstand aerial and artillery bombardments, unless of course, there was direct hit. They constructed a piping system, using bamboo to bring water to their camp, having a continous supply of clean water. They left behind their supplies of "belachan" (prawn paste) and salted fish in their haste, fleeing. From these observations it was assessed that the camp was not a temporary camp but a permanent camp which was being actively used.

Ranger Abang Bolhi relates his story : "I prayed to God to keep death away from me. I also prayed that there be heavy downpour to wash away the blood trails left by me, so that the enemy would not be able to detect me. God, granted this request by a heavy downpour. I am grateful for this. I lost my strenght to move due to the gunshot wounds. As I was not able to move, not hearing the voices of my comrades anymore, I assumed all of them were dead killed by the Enemy. I decided to rest there by sleeping, in my weakened state. Before I closed my eyes to sleep, I recalled Captain Chandran saying if anything bad happens, to use the river as a guide to head for Chemor. I decided to follow his advise the following morning. After getting up on the 14th June, I observed my surroundings, I had lost alot of blood. I had to look for the river mentioned by my Commander. I was very weak, I moved very slowly, to avoid a heavy loss of blood, as the blood flow could not be stemmed. The blood flow was from my chest, behind my arm pit and the palm of my hand. Sometimes I crawled. I managed to reach a very small tributary, which flowed into the river mentioned by Captain Chandran. Once I reached the stream I wet my "good morning" towel to clean off some of the blood.

As I was late in cleaning my wounds, flies and little bees had visited my wounds. They had laid eggs in my wounds. As I tried cleaning the wounds at the back, I discovered that the wounds were infested with maggots. I had a field dressing, could not do much as I was injured in both the hands, I did not have the strength. Whilst I was cleaning the wounds I saw a small cave in front of me. I decided to spend the night in that cave. "
At exactly 1845 hours, he observed his watch which was a "Rado", he saw 7 Communist Terrorists fully armed and equipped enter the cave. "My heart gave a leap and I let out a stifled cry of "God". I thought of throwing a grenade into the cave, I was not capable to toss the greande that far, I realised that, after thinking about it. I was too weak. The other reason was my grenade was coated with blood and had been soaked with water, the chances of exploding might not be a hundred percent. I then thought of opening fire, then I was too weak. Anyway I checked the rounds in my magazine and cocked my sub machine gun and decided to fight it out if I was discovered. I stayed awake and alert with bouts of tiredness and dizziness until the morning. At 0500 hours the Enemy came out of the cave and left the area. On the 15th June, even though I had not eaten for two days except drinking water I felt my strength return.

I was wondering whether to head for the river, my guide to safety. My spirits returned, I knew I would not die. I decided I would not follow the river to head for Chemor, I climbed up the hill where I spent the previous night. I reached the spot where I had slept. I heard someone calling out, I knew it was search party, I yelled out to them with all the strength I could muster, "Heelppppp". The returning voice asked me to identify myself. I replied by shouting out my name, deceiving myself that it was a shout, it was a very weak voice of mine which said, Ranger Abang Bolhi, 4th Rangers", whilst slowly moving toward the voices.

I made it to the boys from B Company, 4th Rangers, a small group which was commanded by Cpl Morni. I was carried by them uphill where they set me down, brewed hot tea and gave me a can of pineapples. After awhile I was taken to an LP, where I was winched out by a helicopter. After spending time in a Hospital in the town of Ipoh, I was taken to Camp Terendak to recuperate at the Armed Forces Hospital there. I was treated and rehabilitated there for 6 months. "

This is Cpl Osman's story : "We were already at the location, below the hill, when the firing started, as ordered by Captain Chandran. We thought that the firing was a signal by Captain Chandran to signal the start of the attack on the Enemy location. Once the firing started we started moving closer to the foothill. We could not assault due to the steep incline of the hill, the superior strength, devastating firepower and the strategic location of the Enemy. The Enemy had started directing fire upon us. The Enemy could not effectively engage us as they were too high up. The bullets passed above us.

We moved into better cover position and returned fire. After that I and 2Lt Donald who had joined up with me decided to relocate. To enable this relocation I released two round from the M79, I took from Ranger Zainal. This enabled 2Lt Donald to relocate. After which 2Lt Donald and his group brought fire to bear on the Enemy, enabling Rgr Zainal and me to relocate. At around 1800 hours, we went up onto the slope of the hill to the location, behind the enemy engaging Captain Chandran and his group. That location we assumed would be the withdrawal route of the Enemy. We made a linear ambush, disappointingly the Enemy did not use that route. The following morning, we met up with a group, who were reinforcements from 4th Rangers, with the news that Captain Chandran had fallen."

Captain Mohan Chandran a/l Velaythan was the son of Seremban, Negri Sembilan and a son of Malaysia. He was awarded the "Seri Pahlawan Gagah Perkasa", posthumously by his Majesty the King, for his actions which were beyond the call of duty in the highest traditions of the Ranger Corps. He was killed in action aged 24 years old in the prime of his life, so that Malaysians of all walks of life did not end up living under the yoke of communism. He was the role model for many a Ranger Officer. The valour award was received by his father. Cpl Osman and Ranger Bajau were awarded the "Pingat Gagah Berani" for valour. From the onset of the fire fight Ranger Bajau displayed his grit and determination to destroy the enemy by exchanging his Sterling sub machine gun (9mm) for a Light Machine Gun (7.62mm). He along with Captain Chandran and others exchanged fire with the enemy. When the time came to assault the heavily defended enemy position he did not hesitate to follow his leader during the assault. Ranger Abang Bolhi was awarded the "Mentioned In Despatches (KPK)".

Captain Chandran was born on 15th May 1947 and the youngest in a family of 4. His mother passed away whilst he was still only a year old. His dad did remarry. He was raised and brought up by his grandmother, Madam T. Athyletchumi in Kuala Lumpur. He used to visit his step mother frequently, they did become close. His step mum loved him as her own. He received his early education in Kuala Lumpur until Form 5, where he got a grade 2 for his MCE. He started his career as a Regular Cadet on the 11th July 1965. He graduated from Port Sea He was commissioned as a 2Lt Lieutenant into the 4th Battalion Ranger Regiment on the 11 June 1966. His bravery and courage always astounded his brother Officers and his much loved men. He used to be a physical fitness fanatic. He had his men dig pits and wrestled with them in the wet and muddy pits. They were to throw out their opponents from the pits. Whoever left behind was the winner. He and his men had great fun together, he loved being with his men. On operations he used to visit his sub-units on his own in the jungle, which were distances apart. Sometimes he took his batman along visiting his platoons and sections, which lay scattered in the operational area. To move alone in the jungle, where the enemy actively operated, took alot of courage.

Cpl Osman bin Sharif was selected to participate in the operation. He was from the 3rd Reconnaisance Regiment. He was directed to follow 2Lt Donald's group. The reason he was commanding a Ranger Section, was that the original Ranger Section Commander fell ill and he was tasked to act as one. Cpl Osman was born in Kampong Legong Ulu Kota, Negri Sembilan. He was the eldest of 7 children in the family. He was born on the 26th March 1941. His father's name was Sharif bin Hasan and his mum's name was Jamaah bte Ludan. He received his early education in the Melayu Legong Ulu Primary School until Standard 6. When he was a teenager he worked as a contract labourer in Singapore, after which as an estate labourer in Legong. He started his Military career on the 15th April 1961. The Military life to him was easy, as he had faced greater hardship when he was a labourer. As he showed great potential he was selected to become an instructor at the Recruit Training Center in Port Dickson. After 5 years as an instructor where he held the rank of a Corporal, he was transferred to the 1st Reconnaissance Regiment in Port Dickson. His Squadron was responsible for the formation of the 3rd Reconnaissance Regiment in Camp Ramilies in Ipoh in 1970. After that he continued serving with 3rd Recce. He finished his career with the rank of a Warrant Officer 1, becoming a Regimental Sergeant Major. He also was an instructor at the Royal Military College in Sungei Besi. He served the nation for 24 years. He is now in a Felda Scheme (agricultural scheme) in Palong Lapan in Gemas.

929223 Ranger Bajau anak Ladi is an Iban, who was born in Kampong Sebemban, Lundu, Sarawak on the 20th March 1947. He began his career in the Military in 1966. He was abandoned by his parents when he was still a little kid. He was raised up by his elder brother and had the opportunity for education until Standard 6 only, at the Bumiputera Lundu School. Before he joined the Army he worked as a waiter for the British Army in the Lundu Camp. He joined the Army after his stint as a waiter. After his completion of recruit training he joined Platoon 8. C Company 4th Rangers in Ipoh, after which they moved to Serian in Sarawak. When the troubles of May 13th 1969 broke out he was assigned in the Kual Kurau area in Perak. He was involved in the dispersion of rioters who tried to storm the Police Station in Kuala Kurau. Rgr Bajau was a member of the elite Tiger Platoon of 4th Rangers(Unit Combat Intelligence Squad). He ended his career on the 25th June 1976 after serving for ten years with the rank of a Lance Corporal.

*Footnote: Some of the updates were from Lt Col (Rtd) Yap Chok Sang
posted by Major D Swami (Retired) @ 6:25 AM  
  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It has indeed been a long while. Could the operation have succeeded? Was there cover-ups? Could the ensuing protracted war been shortened? We would never know it now or could we learn something. What actually happened? I, 410383 Lt Azmi Abdul Hamid Bidin was the Intelligence Officer of 4 Renjer over that period. I was the person who ordered from call-sign 0 for Chandran "5 Alpha, this is Zero, Move Now, out." I gave a direct command as directed. I have no reason to regret as was the case in war - we follow orders. Chandran was a close friend. Twenty-nine minutes later Chandran's signaler spoke directly to me "Contact, Sunray KIA." I said "Spell Sunray." Signaler spelt "Charlie Hotel Alpha November Delta Romeo Alpha November." Did Chandran ever asked for reinforcement? Sure he did. I was accompanying my Commanding Officer for an operational briefing at 2 Brigade HQ when Chandran insisted to the CO Rover that I PERSONALLY take the message. It was a battalion attack recommendation with C Company (his company) as the assault group to RV with him. A complete battle plan with Tebuan straffing, arty fire and all - it was not to be. Nobody took both of us seriously. During my last radio contact with Chandran my fellow officers who were moving into positions with their troops listened in to the conversation, they knew how heated the conversation was! If only the powers that be would have listened to Chandran and myself and would have given us that extra 24 hours, hic! 8 Feb 2012 0122H

  • At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The late Capt. Mohana Chandran received his early secondary school education at the Victoria Institution, KL.
    He was admitted to the Federation Military College (now called Royal Military College) at Sungei Besi in Jan 1963. He was in A Coy and completed his SPM/O levels in 1964 and joined the Cadet Wing of FMC. He received his commission in 1966.The FMC received its Royal clours in December 1966.
    I had the privilege of being Chandarn's classmate while he was in the Boys Wing Form 4 Class Science 2.
    Chandarn was always a loyal friend and had attributes of a humane person. He was physically tough, mentally determined and served his country courageously.Memories do not fade of remarkable friends who contonue to live in his friends who live on.
    Dr T Thirumoorthy
    Old Putera Class of 1965( D Coy) 200870

  • At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dad was Kpl Grunda anak Entri and and he might be one of the boys Kompeni 'B' 4th Ranger mentioned in Ranger Abang Bolhi' story as mentioned above. While reading the story above i just could not believe the resemblances of the events told by my father. He told me how he found the late Captain Mohana's body and the injured Ranger Abang Bolhi. i wish anybody who remember my dad would confirm the story.

  • At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I am not mistaken The Late Capt. Mohana Chandran ia an outstanding cadet that he was sent to Portsea Officer Cadet School in Australia for officer cadet training?

  • At 1:36 PM, Anonymous KHASTURI said…

    Oh...I'm really happy and proud to know about The Late Capt.Mohana Chandran. I'm going to create a theater about our hero' The Late Capt.Mohana Chandran'. Its include his early life until the end and about his contribution to our country.
    This play would be perform by SJKT Masai Tamil School kids in Malay language on 1st August 2015 in Johor. I need more information about The Late Capt. Mohana Chandran. Please email to me to below email add if you have information about him or need contact number of his siblings...
    Need urgently.

  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Major D Swami (Retired) said…

    Some of you have asked about his personal details in Captain Chandran, everything I have written here, is all that I know about him. Nothing more.

  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Major D Swami (Retired) said…

    All that I have written is all that I know about him. Nothing more.

  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My father was Col (R) Hayata Elias. He passed away peacefully 1 Jan 2017. Dad never shared in detail about his work. Really appreciate if anyone can share

  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My father was Col (R) Hayata Elias. He passed away peacefully 1 Jan 2017. Dad never shared in detail about his work. Really appreciate if anyone can share

  • At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like Dr T Thirumoorthy, I was Capt. Chandran’s classmate in 1963-1964 Form 4 and 5 in FMC (as it then was). Chandran and I sat side-by-side. He was mentally more mature than I was, and a natural leader.
    I am fully aware of how he came to join the Army. I knew what his preferences were but how (or why) he thought he wouldn’t see them through.
    Yes, Chandran went to Portsea Officer Cadet School in Australia; what drove him to work extra hard to ensure he got there. I was in medical School overseas when he wrote to me that he was going to work hard to get selected for Portsea, and later proudly wrote to me from Portsea. How I wish I had kept those letters.
    I have in my possession his Officer Cadet School Portsea cap badge. This was given me by Ted Chang who was with us in FMC. In fact Ted and Chandran were classmates from Batu Road School, through Victoria Institution, and then to FMC.
    There is much that we, Ted, Thirumoorthy and I share when we talk about Chandran.
    As Dr Thiru says Chandran “was always a loyal friend and had attributes of a humane person. He was physically tough, mentally determined and served his country courageously”. Chandran lives on through the memories of his friends, and certainly the brave Rangers and others who fought by his side.
    I am proud to have been his friend.
    Dato’ Dr Sarjeet Singh Sidhu, DPMP
    200871 Old Putera H coy

  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    super hero cpt mohana chandran, i need he's family story any one can help pls drop me email, tq

Post a Comment
<< Home

Previous Post
Links To Rangers
Military Related Links

Powered by

Free Blogger Templates


© Modified on the 12th January 2008 By Valour and Courage .Template by Isnaini Dot Com, pub-8423681730090065, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 <bgsound src="">, pub-8423681730090065, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0